You’ve been carefully preparing for this vacation all year. You put in hours of research finding the perfect hotel, restaurants, entertainment, and excursions. You purchased travel insurance to help protect you from the unexpected, you prepared your pets for your absence, and even downloaded the best travel apps to help you get the most out of your trip.
But there’s one more step of preparation left: taking precautions to stay healthy on your flight. An airplane is a hotbed of germs and the last thing you want is to arrive at your destination only to come down with a cold.
10 tips for staying healthy on a flight:
- Sanitize Your Hands – If applied liberally and rubbed thoroughly, hand sanitizer can kill 99.9% of germs. Use it before eating and drinking and after washing your hands in the airplane bathroom.
- Use the Air Vent – Keep those airborne pathogens away from your face. Position the air vent so you can feel it on your hands in your lap.
- Boost Your Immune System – This includes eating healthy, supplementing with Vitamin C, and making sure you’re getting plenty of sleep. Follow this practice before, during, and after your flight.
- Get Up and Move – Sitting too long can lead to a host of problems, including chronic pain and spine injuries.
- Bring Your Own Food and Drink – Do not eat the airplane food! If you’re not going to listen to us, listen to the FDA.
- Avoid Touching Your Face – Even with all the hand-sanitizing you’ll be doing, avoid touching your face at all costs. Bacteria and viruses enter the system, most easily, through the eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Wipe Down Your Area with Anti-Bacterial Wipes – Bacteria from previous flights can (and probably still are) living on your seat, arm-rests, and pull-down tray.
- Bring Your Own Pillow and Blanket – You don’t know who used them before you or the last time they were washed.
- Wear a Surgical Mask – Don’t be embarrassed, it’s becoming more and more common. There may not be a better safe-guard against airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Avoid Stress – Stress is an immune system killer! You need to find a way to relax. Focus on only this breath, now this one, now this one…